2011 Fashion Show
Unknown figures concerning Irish Postnatal Depression sparks fundraising for major new Irish survey to help treatment
Over the Rainbow Fashion Show to be hosted in the RDS and will feature top Irish designers
Postnatal Depression is estimated to impact 1 in 6 Irish women but there has never been a comprehensive study conducted in Ireland. To counter this and to further understand this complex issue and how it should be treated, the Friends of the Coombe is running a major Fashion Show in the RDS on Friday 20th May featuring top Irish Designers and using the funds to complete the study.
The theme of the night will be ‘Over the Rainbow’ and participating designers will include Clare Garvey, Jennifer Rothwell, Edel Ramberg, Fran & Jane and Dawn Fitzgerald plus more up and coming designers.
Some of the key figures associated with the condition include:
- 6 in 10 women develop the "blues" in the post natal period
- The most common psychiatric disorders in pregnancy are depression, anxiety and specific phobias
- Post delivery the majority of women develop a transient condition called the "blues". A smaller number of women develop depression which has implications for the woman, her baby, her partner and her family.
- The signs and symptoms of psychiatric disorders are the same in pregnancy and post delivery as outside of pregnancy
- Treatment of these conditions in pregnancy entails a balance of benefit versus risks and most medications for these conditions are safe in pregnancy
Speaking on behalf of the organisers, Dr Michael O’Connell of The Coombe Women & Infants University Hospital said; “Little Irish data exists with respect to these conditions and the show aims to raise funds to set up an Irish data base to further research, to inform us all concerning these conditions and to guide future strategy at hospital and government level."
Fashionistas will be in for a real treat on the night. The show is guaranteed to provide a fun night to all, with Emma Buckley hosting and live music from Ryan Sheridan.
Tickets cost €50, guests will be invited to enjoy a pre show drinks & canapé reception from 7pm and an after show party with live music, goodie bags and luxury raffles that will continue well into the night.
Please join us for the ultimate 2011 fundraising event! To purchase tickets please contact Friends of the Coombe at email@example.com or phone 01 408 5539
Thank you for your support.